Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Cinnamon rolls

My kids LOVE cinnamon rolls.  I don't make them that often, so it is an extra special treat!!!

I take the slightly easy route here.  I make the dough in my bread maker, on the dough setting.  I find this cuts out a lot of headache for me.  If you have it, why not use it?!!

In the order listed, place in the bread maker.  I will say, if you dump eggs into warm milk and melted butter, the eggs may scramble.  I whisk my eggs in a bowl, add a little warm milk at a time, then dump it all in the bread maker.

Ingredients
1 cup warm milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup butter, melted
4 1/2 cups fresh milled soft wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp yeast

I set my bread maker on the dough setting, it mixes and rises for about an hour and a half total.


Remove dough and turn out onto a floured surface.  Roll it into the closest thing to a rectangle you can get.  I trimmed mine (with a pizza cutter) into a 'neater rectangle' but I don't always do this.  I actually rarely do this.


(This part is where I eye ball it.)  Soften a 1/4 cup of butter, and spread a thin layer over the dough.  Mix a cup of brown sugar with 3 tablespoons of cinnamon.
I just generously spread brown sugar over the butter, then sprinkle the cinnamon down.


Start at one end, and roll into a log.  Slice every 2-3 inches.  Place into a baking dish.  I personally split mine into 2 batches.  I find that the rolls keep well unbaked and are much better fresh.  (versus cooking them all and reheating)



I place about 9 in a square dish.  They start out pretty far apart, but I promise they will rise again.


Cover with plastic wrap, and let them sit and rise for an hour.  I generally place a dish cloth over the plastic wrap and let them sit out for hours.


Bake 400º for 15 minutes.

Icing
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

mix all ingredients until smooth, spread over warm rolls






No comments:

Post a Comment