Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Quinoa



Ever heard of it?  What is it?  How do you use it?

Quinoa is a grain-like crop grown primarily for it's edible seeds.  It is a pseudocereal rather than a true cereal or grain.

Below are the basic nutrition facts for 1 cup of cooked quinoa.




But do you know how to use it?  I personally LOVE quinoa.  It is higher in protein than rice, and super easy to cook.

Here is the low down;  I cook it 2:1 (water/stock to quinoa)  So, bring 1 cup uncooked quinoa with 2 cups water/chicken stock to boil and then let simmer for 18-20 min.



Last night I had a conversation with my son that went something like this:

H:What's for dinner?
Me:  Turkey and Quinoa stuffed peppers.
H:  I HATE quinoa.  It tastes like water.
Me:  Water?  Seriously?  Mine is amazing.
H:  I don't like it.


I made a thick homemade spaghetti sauce, with ground turkey.  I then added cooked quinoa a little at a time, until I got the "right mix."  It isn't exact... it rarely is with me.  I stuffed the quinoa/turkey mix into halved red bell peppers and baked for 30 min.  It was amazing.  As for Hayden, he ate 2 helpings so I guess it passed the test!


I plan on trying some new things with quinoa this week.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment